Friday, January 09, 2009

Last month my editor at the ChiTownDailyNews had talked to me about some exercises to break writers block. A simple one that I used immediately was to sit and start writing without editing for a set period. I was to write as fast as possible and not to look back at typos or grammar errors.

I tried that exercise and the result was first, the computer ate the running consciousness piece (it is gone forever) and second I started writing the series of articles about Sam Zell's shrinking ice berg. I really felt it was a good series and I'm sorry it wasn't given greater attention by my own publication or the public.

The other exercise he suggested was that a writer take on a 30/30 task. That is, to write 30,000 words in 30 days-- on one subject. That's a thousand words a day. I guess like most people who write, I have an idea for something in my head. And I decided to pursue it.

So, now, nine days into the new year, my resolution was to write 30/30, or actually, because January has 31 days, 31/31. After nine days, I'm at 12.6K. I took yesterday off due to a migraine. But, even with that, I'm more than a third past my goal.

Jane says she wanted to be in it, although she has no idea what I'm writing about yet. I guess I should have told her that my first non-fiction short was racy? The story is developing and I'm excited. The main characters are in place and the first story line has been developed (there are several that I'm weaving together.) I don't know when it will be ready for review, but I am real excited. This exercise is working. The computer is storing this great story.

I've often told Jane that a good editor makes your work even better. And a bad editor destroys your work. Geoff helped me past the writers block and into a new field of writing: fiction. And he did it with a few words of patience and encouragement. All of my blogging has picked up speed. I'd say he's a damn good editor.

No comments: