Monday, August 25, 2008

Back to HR August 25

It was back to the offices of the HR department of the Chicago Public Schools this morning, at the urging of Jane. It is important to have the benefits lost at the Tribune Co. replaced by CPS before 30 days have expired since the RIF, or about September 8.

I met with Gina again and explained that apparently Jane had talked to a supervisor. I wasn’t enrolling due to a new hire but due to a life changing event: the loss of my benefits. The supervisor had directed Jane to send me with the documents necessary to enroll. Gina took copies of my daughter’s birth certificate, our marriage license and certificate and the court order providing that I was to provide Ceili with benefits when that was possible.

The copy of the class schedule for Ceili was not with me and it didn’t matter as CPS wanted a letter from the college registrar’s office that Ceili was full-time. Fortunately I had the car with me and I drove out to Harper College to meet with Ceili to order this document.

The Harper College registrar said these letters were taking about two weeks to complete. I showed them the demand from the CPS HR office for a copy within a week. They were nice enough to say they’d attempt to provide it on Tuesday. I left Ceili with a copy of the CPS request and instructions to complete this Tuesday. Wednesday we’ll be in the hospital and maybe Thursday too. It isn’t likely to get done before Friday if someone, probably Ceili, doesn’t get it in gear.

Good kid that she is, she agreed. So, maybe we’ll finally be covered by health insurance again.

No comments: