Thursday, August 09, 2018

Top Three Tunes: High School

Another post from the Daily Pages today. Remember that this was originally written in script and transcribed to text. My rule is not to edit this.

I'm at Jack and Darcey's new place in Boulder. And it is early, 5 AM. There was a wonderful meal last night with Darcey and Jack with a surprise guest of Carol. I'd woken earlier reflecting on our discussion. I decided I'd never really clearly, or rather never as clearly drawn the line between my seething anger in 1975-6 and my parents actions as I had last night. It was eloquent and everyone got it.
I've forgiven them their actions. That was part of what I did in Ireland a few years ago at Dymphna's Well. So that is all I think, in summary of a subject I've beat to death in these pages. Waking at 1 AM I thought further reflection in these pages wouldn't be useful.
However I do think part of my reflections on music is worth writing on. Three pieces of music that define something for you. High school it has to be Stairway to Heaven number one. It was and remains the slow dance everyone had to have a partner for. I listen to it today and think back to those sock-hops. I listen to the words and think about reading the Lord of the Rings for the very first time.
It rises to transport me there and continues to be among the best loved pieces of music of my generation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_r3asKw_ghw
I wore the record behind this cover out and it remains among the tunes I love, listen to and consider (hyperlink to tune).

Me and Bobby Maggie comes in second. It, and the next tune, represent my relationship with my first girl friend. I changed the words when I sang it in high school to reflect her name, which was also Bobbie, making a gender bender of it. For me it was a song of longing and loss.


Number three was Wake Up Maggie. This tune was the flip side of the relationship: how I felt used in that relationship.


These three songs, to me, represent what it was like to be that vulnerable 18-year-old graduating from high school, my parents elsewhere, no present, and facing graduation without a girl friend.
So, gentle reader, what tunes do you associate with being in high school? What tunes describe your life now and why?

No comments: