Friday, September 26, 2008

September 26-- Happy Birthday


Ceili had her 20th birthday earlier this week. She was depressed due to some friends blowing her off in a social engagement. As a result she didn't answer calls from me. Sunday, when we finally talked, I was suffering a serious migraine and Jane had made substitute plans. We were unavailable.

Jane suggested I buy a smash cake and surprise her at Harper. It was an excellent idea and one that I should have thought of. Monday, I was on a mission. I went down to Dinkel's, which is the same bakery I've always purchased her birthday cakes from, and bought a yellow cake.

They don't keep smash cakes available anymore, you need to order them. They are called smash cakes as 15 years ago we'd buy a cake for the kid and one for the adults. The child would grab the cake with one hand and stuff it in their mouths. Smash it up.

I had a card and a few small things. Because of the unemployment we didn't have much to offer Ceili this time. I put a $50 Target gift card in.

I drove out to Harper, not knowing Ceili's class schedule. I called her from a table near the cafe there and asked if she wanted to have lunch. Of course every college kid wants dad to pay for lunch. She said sure.

When she showed up, I pulled the card out and gave it to her. Then I opened the cake box. I had some plates and plastic ware and I lit a candle.

It was one of the new candles that has an electronic chip inside. It was supposed to play "Happy Birthday." Ceili blew out the candle immediately.

She looked around and said, "you can't have open flame in here."

"All they'll do is tell you to blow it out," I replied. She looked at me with those big eyes and didn't say anything.

I lit the candle again. The candle was silent.

"Go ahead and blow it out now," I said. "Happy Birthday!"

I think she liked my little romantic gesture.

No comments: